Top Ten Tuesday 11.12.13

This week's topic is:
Top Ten Covers I Wish I Could Redesign


I cheated a bit and picked three covers (so we'll have Top Eleven this week, lol)
Nightstade by Andrea Cremer
I'm sorry but I simply cannot forgive the atrocity committed against this cover when it was redesigned.  (Thankfully I have an ARC of the original!)  The photography on the original combined with the lovely varying shades of purple and the bloodied flowers gave it a much more exotic, yet edgy feel.  This new version, while it tells you more about what the book is about, looks like it was done by a Photoshop amateur.

Shine by Jeri Smith-Ready
I love, love, love this series and I really liked the first two covers so I motion to redesign book three to match the first two!  I'm not crazy about full frontal face shots on covers because I feel like it warps the image you create in your mind.  The model is not like I envisioned Aura and sorry but her green eyeliner drives me crazy!  I don't mind the yellow but why so much of it?  I think a predominantly black cover with yellow accent behind the title, and going back to the original typography would have been much better!

The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa
BORING!  Sorry but this cover has nothing going on.  I love the blue but it's not a color that comes to mind when I think of vampires.  The cover for The Immortal Rules was great!  I don't want to sound like a hypocrite by now liking a cover w/ a full face on the front, but I really think it worked for that book.  The red eyes and bloody tear was very indicative of the main character's situation so it tied in nicely.
Adendum:
I may have to hold my tongue because I've seen this version floating around and if this is the NEW cover for The Eternity Cure then I retract my previous statement ;)

The Haven by Kristi Cook
This cover has always bothered me. If I was the type of gal that judged a book by it's cover this would have never been read. Honestly, this cover really should be redesigned because it's a very interesting story but the drawing just looks so flat when this book has so much dimension to it.

The Awakened by Ednah Walters
This is another cover that needs a makeover bad! It's such a shame too because I adore this book and her Guardian Legacy series. Every time I see this cover though it's like torture for my eyes. Neither version of this cover does Bran any justice. I'm sorry to say that Ednah but I do truly heart this series. *big smile*

Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson 
The original cover image didn't appeal to me or give me any clues as to what the story was about. (I read it anyway because I love the author!) Since the main character got in trouble for graffiti in the school, maybe spelling out "Twisted" as graffiti on a wall would have worked better.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
On the original U.S. cover, the mask looks like it was poorly photo-shopped onto the model's face. No one in my book club liked the cover either. I probably wouldn't have picked it up if the story didn't have such high praise. The U.K. version was better in my opinion.

4 comments:

  1. Oh so there is a new cover for The Eternity Cure?! Saw another one entirely that said it was the new cover. Although I know there are other covers out there for the UK and Australia. Not a fan of the US one either. Agree about Nightshade too, I LOVED the first cover and have an ARC of that as well. But I do like the concept of this newer cover, but like you said, it looks like a bad photoshop effort.

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Ink but I agree with all the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely agree with everything except for DoSaB. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find the Shine covers really disappointing as well. They look like they were made on the fly with hardly any thought put into them. I think they probably detract a lot of readers

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs The Artists' Faeries Lovely Papers by Lorie Davison